Thursday, June 28, 2007

A matter of perspective...

Wednesday and Thursday of this week seemed much like a movie as I tried to leave the great state of Georgia and the NECC 2007 conference with my colleague, Ryan Bretag. It was vaguely reminiscent of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". We endured cancelled flights, late hotel shuttles and high tension in the long airport lines. As I stood in what felt like my 20th line before 8:00am on our second day in the airport, an airline employee asked if I was ticketed. I thanked her but told her my reservations were a "disaster" and that I was told I needed to talk to an agent. As she moved to the traveler behind me, I looked up to see a young man in uniform. I asked if he was returning home or heading for duty. Josh was returning from 5 months in Iraq. He had 2 weeks to come home to Iowa for his anniversary before he was to return. I welcomed him home, thanked him for his service and told him I'd keep him in my prayers in the coming months. He thanked me.

Ryan arrived shortly after my talk with Josh. I left the line and we moved on, planning our next exit strategy. All I could think of was how, minutes earlier, I had told someone my travel plans were a "disaster" only to look in the eyes of someone who really knew what disaster was. Lord only knows what he's seen. I gained some perspective in those few minutes with Josh....along with some humility and gratefulness.

I'll be writing about my experiences at NECC soon. This was a different type of NECC for me with some wonderful moments. But the image from the week foremost in my mind right now? Josh. May he and other young men and women return again safely.

No comments: