Thursday, July 12, 2007

Life-Long Learning: No longer a choice

As I look around at the Web 2.0 and School 2.0 discussions occurring all over the globe I keep coming back to a phrase I hear myself utter more and more: Being a life-long learner is no longer a lifestyle choice, it's a necessity. We know that we are preparing students for a world we cannot imagine. But, there is one thing we know, they will have to keep learning new concepts, ideas and strategies their entire lives.

So, what about us? As teachers, it is easy and natural to slip into the easy chair of expertise knowing that we know our topic inside and out. I always say the class that probably served me better than any methods class was the university math class in which I "hit the wall". Math had always been easy for me; it came very naturally - until my 2nd year at the University of Illinois. I earned the lowest grade I had ever earned...since Kindergarten. I just didn't get it. Remembering how I felt in that class went a long way in having compassion and patience for my students who just didn't get it.

In order to remember that feeling, I contend that every teacher should learn something new at least every two years. And I mean something REALLY new...and out of their comfort zone. Whether it be Italian, sewing, golf or the new grade book program makes no difference. I am convinced teachers will be as well served by remembering that "I don't get it" feeling as any other professional development they participate in.

No comments: