Monday, July 2, 2007

NECC 2007: 5th year - New Experience

This was a very different NECC conference for me. I'm usually very focused on sessions and the exhibit hall. The people with whom I attend the conference and I get together and talk about our sessions. This year it didn't exactly happen that way. While I did not stop by the Blogger Cafe as so many of my colleagues did, I still reaped the rewards of the new age of conference and informal learning. Ryan Bretag, educational technologist extraordinaire, introduced several of us to people whose posts we've read and whom we'd heard of but never met - virtually or face to face. Being immersed all day and throughout the evening with educational technologists from around the globe was exhausting and fascinating. Thanks to all who shared their ideas and experiences with us over a meal Pittypat's Porch: Julie (I'll probably never go rafting again!), Vicki, Brian (who has my new favorite blog name), Vinnie, Terry, Peggy and John!


And, here's what got to me - the passion I saw in so many people. And not just passion for technology. These are not just gadget-heads and techno-geeks (though some of them are). These are educators who care deeply about teaching, learning and the future of young people in this country and around the world. The time and energy so many folks pour into learning new things so they can serve their students better is astounding. Jeff Utecht, for one, seems to be a non-stop learning machine!

Not only did the learning in Atlanta start before NECC started with Edubloggercon but it lasted long after, too. After several days of being immersed in discussions about educational technology, were we done? No! The conversations continued at the Atlanta airport and on board flights, as well. A small group of us (David Knudson, Ryan Bretag, Dave Jakes) gathered in an airport watering hole and people dropped in and out (as some of us had longer waits than others). Sorry I don't recall everyone's names but it was a pleasure meeting Brian Grenier and Tim Lauer among others in the airport version of NECC!

Thank you, everyone, for your dedication, generous spirits and willingness to share!

3 comments:

Mr. Lauer said...

Nice to meet you too Lisa... tim

Unknown said...

It was great fun. Looking forward to it again next year! See you there!

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

It was so much fun! And what a great meal that night! Truly a wonderful conference, perhaps I'll get a moment to reflect soon.