Monday, July 2, 2007

NECC2007 Session 11: From Hand It In to Publish It: Re-Envisioning our Classrooms

Notes on From Hand It In to Publish It: Re-Envisioning our Classrooms


Presenter: Will Richardson, Connective Learning Group


This session reminded me of why I enjoy reading and listening to Will Richardson so much. He really challenges the audience. I didn't take too many notes as most of it is in the wiki he created for the session. A few notable points:

  • Today's students are hyperconnected
  • Today's students are hypertransparent
  • They are extremely collaborative
  • The world is no longer saying "do your own work" but "do work with others" (are schools??)
  • Students need to see people who are modeling learning
  • (This is something I've been saying for awhile now) LIFELONG LEARNING IS NO LONGER A CHOICE!!
  • change in information - e.g. all of MIT's course content is online, for free, for anyone at http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

I have to include these favorites from the session wiki. Richardson was visibly taken aback by the spontaneous applause for number 5:

So what are the challenges, and how do we overcome them? What are the "Yeah,
buts"?

  1. "We don't have the technology." Talk about and model the uses of these
    technologies in your own practice as much as you can. Start a conversation about
    the ways in which you can bring free and open hardware and software to your
    schools.
  2. "My supervisor (principal, superintendent, etc.) won't let me do this." Be a
    beacon for these changes in your own practice, ask for small opportunities to
    implement.
  3. "My parents don't want their kids 'out there.'" Teach them why it's
    important for their students to be using these tools, that they are using them
    already, that they are not going away, and that they need to understand how to use them safely, effectively and ethically.
  4. "I have to make sure my kids do well on the test." Make the case that this
    is not either/or, that the ends can be met through these means and at the same time, the "standards" can be met.
  5. "I don't have the time." At the end of the day, as an educator, you don't
    have much choice. You need to make the time, You need to understand these
    changes for yourselves.
  6. "I'm scared." You should be. On some level we all are.

I can't say I've always agreed with Will Richardson but I have a lot of respect for what he says and does... and there is a LOT of good stuff in here. It was a great way to end the conference!

No comments: